Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chandelier Before & After

Cheap, easy and pretty. That about sums up this DIY chandelier makeover. When searching for a new light fixture for one of our guest rooms, I decided I wanted a chandelier. The room, when finished, will have a whimsical, airy, vintage look and feel.

Not only did I want a chandelier, but I wanted one that had whimsy and color. During one of our afternoon Home Depot runs, we spotted a rack of clearance lighting. Behold, the Williamsburg 6-Light Chandelier. List price = $99.97. Clearance price = $10.



Add a can of Rustoleum spray paint in a vintage green hue; a ceiling medallion; and some chandelier crystals ordered at Cristalier.com and you have a simple chandelier makeover.

First, I wiped down the chandelier with a clean cloth. Next, I covered the white parts of the lights (the bases) with tin foil to prevent paint getting all over them. We hung the chandelier outside and gave it several coats of Rustoleum (look for formulas recommended for painting metal). I ordered crystals from Cristalier and hung them on various parts of the light fixture. Finally, we purchased a ceiling medallion from Home Depot in order to cover up a "funky" spot on the ceiling left from the old ceiling fan light fixture that had been there before.



And there you have it--a super-easy, cheap chandelier makeover. I can't wait to share more of this guest room as it comes together. I plan to paint the walls, paint the dressers and hang artwork next. I'll post all updates right here.

If you have any questions about my DIY process, feel free to comment on this post.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know if you are interested in seeing one of our new chandelier crystal styles (complementary of course)

    Cristalier Crystals

    ReplyDelete