Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco de Miller

In honor of our friends and neighbors in Mexico, we decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo--Cinco de Miller--in our casa Saturday night with a little homemade Mexican pizza, salsa, guacamole and frozen drinks. Yes, we celebrated by ourselves. Yes, it was wonderful and relaxing. And delicious.




Here are the links to the recipes for the guacamole and salsa I make: 

For the Margaritas, I have no secret. It's the can of Bacardi frozen Margarita mix you can buy at any grocery store next to the frozen juice concentrate. I like to add a lime-flavored Tequila.

And the Mexican pizza? It's a simple recipe that isn't really a recipe. I start with a Trader Joe's whole wheat refrigerated crust (the kind that comes in a bag and you roll out). Preheat the oven to follow the directions on the crust. Next, I roll out the dough; add a layer of re-fried, low-fat black beans; a layer of lean ground beef that I seasoned with taco seasoning; add chopped onions and green peppers; and then finish the top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, I cut the pizza into slices and allow everyone to add lettuce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Voila! Ole'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment