Monday, October 18, 2010

Kick This Habit

Have you ever been asked if you have a bad habit?

When asked, I almost innately think of habits such as nail-biting, smoking, drinking too much diet soda or saying "um" too often.

Recently I was thinking about my lifestyle. I haven't been exercising and somehow way too much junk food has been ending up in my clutches. Could my lifestyle be a bad habit? Um, yes.

Yes, it's one big bad habit.

Webster's Dictionary defines a habit as the following:

hab·it - noun
1. an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways before crossing the street.

Note the phrase 'almost involuntary.' Because that Snickers bar didn't totally end up in my hand yesterday involuntarily...but almost.

Join me while I work to kick my habit. Yesterday I picked up a copy of Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. I completed the first workout this morning. Initially, I really like this workout and the best part thus far is that it's only a 20-minute time commitment each day. Something that's always a challenge for me is planning my meals throughout the day so I picked up an insulated lunch bag to bring my lunch and snacks with me to work, rather than being tempted to eat fast food. Mine is Igloo (similar here) and it's a black and white giraffe print. I found it at my local Big Lots.

Join me as I work to make a change. For me it's about baby steps. I will keep you posted here on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment