Sunday, September 9, 2012

Prairie Glitter Guide: Coconut Oil

Prairie Glitter Guide: Coconut Oil


Because I had been hearing so much about the benefits of coconut oil, I decided to purchase a tub during my last visit to Whole Foods. After using it several times (for several different purposes), the verdict is in: LOVE.

First, I used it as a hair conditioner. I simply rubbed some of the coconut oil on my dry, tattered ends; put my hair in a high bun; and went to bed. The next morning, I shampooed my hair. My ends really did look shiny and fresh. Now, I understand that you can't "fix" split ends, but I definitely think it made them seem less noticeable, as it kept them more hydrated. My tips would be to make sure you don't put this on your scalp and be sure to get it shampooed out very well. (It can be very greasy!)

I also used the coconut oil on my skin. I have a really strange, rough patch on my knee that I've had for-EVER. Smoothing the coconut oil on that patch a few times a week has really helped smooth it. And a little bit goes a very long way. The coconut oil has a very light, coconut scent. You may smell a bit like a baked good--which isn't all bad.

The next things I plan to try with my coconut oil are to use it as a cuticle/hand moisturizer (goodbye dry man-hands!) and for cooking. I've even read about using it in a tea.

A website called Organicfacts.net has a great write-up about the benefits of using coconut oil here.

Have you tried using coconut oil? What do you think? I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kelly!! So glad I found your blog:) I've been using the coconut oil in the same way, but putting on a reusable hair cap and propping myself under the blow dryer for 20 to 30 minutes. The heat allows the cuticle to open (locking in the moisture), then when it cools the cuticle closes (making it shinier). I sleep in it also, then shower. I have been finding the coconut oil to weigh my hair down a bit, so next I'm planning to mix half coconut oil and half olive oil. Ooh, I also mixed the coconut oil with sugar and lemon and placed it in a container in the shower. I use it as a lip scrub with a tooth brush.

    ReplyDelete