Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Well-Being Wednesday

Today I'm starting a new series of posts: Well-Being Wednesdays. My health, well-being and weight are issues I could discuss at length every day, but I don't want my blog to become a place where that's my only focus. Enter Well-Being Wednesdays. I'll post my progress as well as share health and well-being tips and information. Of course, it's a given that I'll at least mention health and fitness in other posts. This is a blog about my life and it just so happens that said topic is a big part of it.

And since I'm feeling bold, brave and inspired, I'm about to share something with you that only my husband knows. My weight. "Hi, my name is Kelly. I'm 5'3" and weigh 157 pounds."

Am I happy with that number? Quite frankly, no. Do I hate my body? No. Do I want to live a healthier life and feel better about myself? Yes.

There is no doubt that shedding excess weight will help me to not only look but feel much better. The past ten years of my life have been a complete roller-coaster with the scale, dieting and exercise. I've lived my life in extremes--at times being super-disciplined with my nutrition and fitness and at times being super-lax.

I know that my body looks and feels its best operating at around 135 pounds. I've been there several times and it's my ultimate goal to get back to that place. I want to reach my "feel-great weight." And I want to do it the right way, through healthy nutrition and exercise.

As I inch closer and closer to the big 3-0, it's dawned on me that I've spent nearly a decade of my life unhappy with my body. When I was thin, I was unhappy because I thought I could be thinner. When I was at my heaviest (170 pounds) I was unhappy because I knew I could be thinner and felt like crap.

It's time for me to re-claim my body instead of it claiming me. Period.

Here's my whole-body, well-being plan to reach my goal:

  • Eat a clean diet (Mostly clean, allowing room for a few treats. No deprivation!)
  • Drink more water. My goal is at least 40 ounces daily.
  • Exercise four times per week (to start). A combo of cardio and weights.
  • Plan meals and snacks every day. Be prepared.
  • Implement a "reward" system for extra motivation and to celebrate achievements.
  • Work to get more sleep at night, going to bed earlier.
So, here I am, all 157 pounds of me, getting ready to embark on a new, well-being journey. And I want to clarify that this isn't all about body image. It's about feeling good, being healthy and living a life of balance. That's the ultimate reward.

Are you on a well-being journey? I'd love to hear it. Even better, let's travel together.


No comments:

Post a Comment